“Contributing to our community and society.
Always looking to do better.”
Our environmental department initiatives are implemented with the full-team effort of experts, management, and staff. This group focus has resulted in us making great strides in recycling, composting and equipment upgrades.
Through those strides, the Austin Convention Center Department (ACCD) can now power both of its facilities with 100 percent renewable energy from onsite solar panels and a partnership with Austin Energy’s Green Choice Program. Not to mention, 50 percent of all waste generated is diverted from landfills by our extensive composting program.
The benefits from these advances are not limited to the reduction of our department’s environmental footprint. They also create a more enjoyable experience for all who visit our facilities and reduces operational costs for us and our clients.
Clean air, clean environment. Cleaning with green products and a smoke-free facility to limit particulates in the air.
Continual education to sustain. Our compliance officers teach the management and staff about conservation techniques. These teachings then not only become a regular part of facility operations, but a habit of everyday life.
- Teaming up with you to reach solutions leading to a greener future.
- Our sustainability initiatives help the planet and your bottom line.
- We help minimize your event’s carbon footprint.
- More recycling. Innovative reuse of materials. Lower energy costs.
The Austin Convention Center Department Green Team Committee has worked with the Austin Climate Protection Program to develop a first-of-its-kind Departmental Climate Protection Plan. This plan is intended to help reduce the Austin Convention Center Department’s carbon footprint and help the City of Austin meet its goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2020.
- The Department was verified carbon-neutral for 2013 following its purchase of 3,450 offsets.
- Currently, the ACCD is awaiting final verification for its purchase of 3,570 carbon offsets for 2014 and 2,860 carbon offsets for 2015 to officially become carbon-neutral for those two years.
- Carbon emissions are third-party verified every 3 years to insure carbon offsets purchased cover carbon emitted by the department.
- We are continually educating clients and attendees on the Palmer Events Center’s sustainability initiatives.
- The Palmer Events Center’s Catering Services division is equally committed to sustainability.
- Exhibit hall and pre-function lighting replaced with fluorescent and LED lighting to reduce energy consumption and mercury content.
- Installed exterior lighting has been redirected to reduce light pollution.
- Lamps are the most energy efficient available, including using LED lighting when possible.
- After event hours, all unnecessary lighting is turned off.
- Exterior lighting is scheduled from approximately one hour after sunset to sunrise daily.
- Motion detectors are installed in most offices, restrooms and pre-function spaces.
- Reduced lighting is provided during set-up and tear-down of events.
- Older inefficient T12 fluorescent lighting was retrofitted with high efficiency T8 lamps and electronic ballasts.
- LED lighting installed in all meeting rooms.
Through a mix of on-site panels and Austin Energy’s Green Choice Program, the Palmer Events Center is powered by 100% Renewable Energy.
- Reduced amount of waste by replacing 12” box filters with more efficient 2” filters.
- During event hours, leased space and pre-function areas are conditioned at 72 degrees, unless client requests otherwise.
- During non-event hours, leased space and pre-function areas are conditioned at 85 degrees.
- Administrative areas are only conditioned Monday thru Friday, 5 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- HVAC software utilizes outside air when it is cool enough to provide free cooling to facility.
- All fixtures retrofitted with low water, hands-free devices.
- Intelligent irrigation system reduces waste.
- Uses non-potable water.
- Green roof reduces storm water run off and heat island effect.
- Only native and adaptive plant species are used in landscapes.
- Recycled carpet, with zero emissions was installed throughout the facility.
- Recycled over 180,000 lbs. of old carpet.
- Over 300 tons (40 percent) of total waste generated was diverted from the landfill over the past four years.
- Over 100 tons (50 percent) of total waste generated was diverted from the landfill in 2016.
- Waste Management Team sorts and properly disposes of event waste.
- Recycling program increased through routine waste audits and policy development.
The Department currently recycles the following items:
- Light bulbs and ballasts
- Food scraps
- Disposable food and beverage wares
- We currently use recycled crushed 6th street glass in all ashtrays and as landscaping mulch.
- All equipment purchased meets the recommended 70dba noise level.
- Continuous commissioning of all automated systems ensures optimal indoor comfort.
- Only products marked by a recognized third party testing agency for high indoor air quality standards are purchased.
- Green Seal Certified chemicals are utilized for 95% of all cleaning.
- Our Integrated Pest Management program utilizes 100% organic materials.
- Equipment purchases are compliant with LEED-EB Indoor Environmental Quality Standards.
- All Marquees are LED’s and are scheduled for use.
- The Department participates in Austin Energy’s Smart Vending program and has vending misers on all refrigerated beverage machines.
- Staff is encouraged to participate in the Car2Go ride share program for business travel during the work day.
- Department uses only Flex Fuel and Hybrid vehicles.